Reykjavik, Iceland Day 177

Last day, last day!!!! I can’t believe I made it! That was a long 6 months, but it somehow passed pretty quickly. I’m ready to get home though.  I wasn’t sure how I’d be feeling on this day, but it’s time, it’s time. Our flight to Toronto didn’t leave until 5:00 so we decided to spend a few hours at the Blue Lagoon. The water is very salty and mineral laden so it was very hard on your hair. They recommend slathering your hair in this conditioner that they provide. My mom didn’t want to get her hair wet so she wore my shower cap… No, I will not post photos of that, but some Japanese people thought it was funny and wanted to take photos of her in the cap, so I guess photos will be seen by someone in Japan! She was smart, because despite the conditioner , then washing and conditioning again after we got out of the water our hair felt AWFUL! So dry and tangled and brittle. It was worth it though, because the water was divine and so so so hot! As you’d walk around you’d find hot pockets of water, and when I say hot I mean HOT! Our fingers got all pruny, and we put silica mud all over our faces and bodies and let it dry. Getting the mud masque OFF of your face was a different story though because the water was so salty that it stung your eyes. It was so lovely being in this steamy, hot mineral rich water while the rain fell lightly on your shoulders. We rinsed our hair under the waterfall and spent a few more minutes soaking up the healing properties of the geothermal water.
Approaching Blue Lagoon spa in Iceland.

Approaching the geothermal plant that makes the spa possible.

The seawater is heated 2000 metres below the ground by the natural forces of the earth. The water is 240 degrees Celsius at this depth, and as it makes its way to the earths surface it cools and collects the  mineral deposits that makes the water so therapeutic.

Approaching Blue Lagoon spa in Iceland.
The water is pooling on the side of the road as you approach the spa.
Approaching Blue Lagoon spa in Iceland.
Approaching Blue Lagoon spa in Iceland.
The water is renewed every 40 hours, and because of this the water is very clean and no chlorine is necessary.
At the Blue Lagoon spa in Iceland.
Family hot tub!
At the Blue Lagoon spa in Iceland.
I’m not sure if the salt and minerals made you feel more buoyant in the water, but we all noticed it was harder to move through the water and I definitely felt more “floaty.”
At the Blue Lagoon spa in Iceland.
Sculptures at the Reykjavik airport.
More sculptures at the airport.
View of Greenland from airplane.
Our flight plan took us right over Greenland, and the clouds parted to give us a good view. Greenland and Iceland should really think about switching names.
View of Greenland from airplane.
Our flight from Reykjavik to Toronto was uneventful. We had a three hour wait for our flight to Vancouver so we had some friends from Toronto come meet us at the airport for dinner. Our plane was due to leave at 10:50 pm. For us, it was 6 am Iceland time, so we were nodding off and super sleepy. I did the head bob routine a few times, then woke up because it seemed like too much time had passed and we should have taken off by now. I looked at my watch and it was 11:30. Hmmm, no announcements have been made, what’s going on? A few minutes later they did make an announcement that there was a medical emergency on board, and the patient was deciding if they felt well enough to fly. 15 minutes later they came back on to tell us that she was going to fly so we’d be taking off soon. Then a few minutes after that they made ANOTHER announcement that she changed her mind and would be getting off the plane. We’re all thinking a medical emergency constituted something serious like a heart condition or a diabetic coma, but no- she was having a panic attack. I’m not unsympathetic to someone having a panic attack. I understand that it feels like you’re having a heart attack, but Air Canada dropped the ball here. As soon as someone appears to be unwell, get them off that plane! We’re on the red-eye, everyone wants to just get home. There is no good reason to make us all sit there for 2 hours to wait for one person to decide whether or not they can fly. It’s unfair and inconsiderate to the other 200 passengers on board. Just my opinion, but I think it was shared by each and every other person who groaned loudly when the air crew came on to tell us that the woman was having a panic attack. They very smartly told us that AFTER she de-planed. So, we had to taxi back to the gate, then wait for them to remove her bags. Fun times.
 So we get to the airport at 3am instead of 1am as planned. I let Paul know that we were late so he didn’t have to sit around waiting for too long. It was now 10am Iceland time, and the three of us felt like the walking dead. We were dropping my mom off first, and picking up Henry, my pup. He was so confused, he was happy to see me, but wanted to stay with my parents. Her was just looking at them, then back to me, then back to them. Poor pup, he’s been through a lot of change in the past couple of years! When we got to the apartment I put Henry down to help with my bags, and he shot off down the alley. I yelled after him and ran over to see what he was doing and saw what I thought was a cat, but unfortunately it was a skunk. It was backed right up to Henry’s face, and he got a direct hit. Did you know skunk spray is yellow and goopy SOOOO much worse up close and personal than it does from afar. We brought him upstairs and put him in the bathroom so the smell and goo wouldn’t transfer to anything. I opened the door to get in there to give him a bath, and he had barfed all over the floor. I cleaned it up and put him in the tub. It smelled so rank that I was gagging like crazy and almost barfing myself. It was now 4:00 in the morning, and I had no brain power to try and figure out the RIGHT way to de-skunk a dog. I used dish soap. He still reeked. Then I used Irish Spring bath gel and he smelled *slightly* better than before. Yes, I think it just masked the odour, but it was better than nothing. I was so tired that I didn’t really care at that point. So, it was a slightly different home coming than I thought it would be, but it felt so good to be back in my bed in North Vancouver- there really is no place like home!
Silky Terrier dog.
When this…
meets this… it’s all just BAD!



For all the recipes, photo travel essays and ridiculously adorable photos of my dog subscribe so you won't miss a post.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply