I know Bob from various social media places, especially Twiiter! He seems like he’d be a great person to go for a beer with (I think I might need to add a beer question to my questionnaire, don’t you think?) Bob, are you a beer or wine guy? You can answer in the comments LOL!
I’m curious ABOUT YOU:
1. I’m curious. Who are you and where do you come from?
My name is Bob Bales or better known as The Traveling Fool. I am originally from Texas. After 20 years in the Military I started contracting in various overseas locations.
2. What is your website called and what’s it all about?
My site is called The Traveling Fool I write about my travels, provide travel tips and reviews. I advocate “getting off the tourist path”. It’s okay to want to see all the famous sites around the world but spend some time getting out and meeting the people. That is where you truly learn to appreciate a place and the culture.
I’m curious ABOUT FOOD:
3. What is the most curious thing you’ve ever eaten? (curious meaning weird!)
Probably the strangest was being approached by a local seller as I was getting off a boat on an island in the Philippines. Before I knew what happened he grabbed my hand and scooped out 3 raw sea urchins in the palm of my hand and told me to eat. I did but it was slimy, salty and pretty nasty.
4. I love to cook and try to re-create dishes that I’ve had while traveling. Do you have a favourite meal that ends all meals? What was it and where did you have it?
I like cooking but being from Texas I am partial to smoked BBQ. Brisket, sausage links and ribs. But I cook some pretty mean enchiladas and every southern boy knows how to cook fried chicken.
I’m curious ABOUT ART:
5. Is there a particular genre in art that you love (like The Impressionists or the Renaissance Masters) or a favourite artist?
Well I have to admit to being an art heathen. I know nothing about art but I appreciate good photography. The ability to capture what the eye sees is an art. I try but I have a long way to go and am constantly trying to improve. When I see some of the photography today I am amazed at how the photographer was able to make the photo come to life.
6. I’m an art destination traveler. I went to Malaga, Spain just to see where Picasso was born and had to go to Florence, Italy to see Michelangelo’s David. Have you ever gone out of your way to see a particular piece of art?
I have been to the Louvre in Paris and was impressed even though I probably didn’t appreciate it as much as others.
I’m curious ABOUT CULTURE:
7. Do you have a phrase that you absolutely MUST LEARN in the language of the country you’re visiting?
I like to get the necessities down such as “Beer please”, “where is the bathroom” and “Thank you” I have found after that I can usually make do.
8. Where is the most culturally different place you’ve ever been and what made it so different?
Culturally different would have to be most places in the Middle East. Being an old Southern boy I was taken aback when an Iraqi General kissed me on my cheek. I knew it was a custom but it still didn’t feel right. Damn now the nightmares are returning.
I’m curious ABOUT THE WORLD:
9. Who is the most curious person you’ve met while on the road (it can be a single person or a whole tribe!)
So many interesting people, it is real hard to single out any one. I have had the privilege through work and travels of meeting political figures, international news correspondents and such. I met a former manager of boxer Joe Frazier in a hotel bar in Dubai a few years back. I have gotten a private tour of the Korean DMZ by a South Korean Colonel. I met a man in the Czech Republic that built a museum dedicated to WW2 General George Patton and the US troops that liberated his town. We discovered we were in Germany at the same time in the military but on different sides of the border. My Great Uncle that lived to be one week shy of 100 years old always told me stories about when he was a bootlegger and gun runner during the Boar War and his travels to South America.
10. Where in the world are you most curious to visit that you haven’t been?
I love SE Asia and I have yet to visit Cambodia and Viet Nam. I would also like to see Macao, why I don’t know, except I remember hearing exotic stories when I was a kid.
You can visit Bob’s website here -> The Traveling Fool
And follow him on Twitter here -> Twitter
And on Facebook here -> Facebook